13 May 2012
Frosted Honeydew Cresents
The honeydew is fresh;pile frosted fruits on top of it just before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
1 can (1 pound, 13 ounces) fruit cocktail
1 package (3 ounces) strawberry-flavor gelatin
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 1/2 cups tiny marshmallows
1/2 cup sliced maraschino cherries
1/2 cup cream for whipping
1 honeydew melon
1. Drain syrup from fruit cocktail into a 2-cup measure to use in next step. Set fruit aside for step 3.
2. Dissolve gelatin in hot water in a small bowl; stir in 1 1/4 syrup and lemon juice; cool to lukewarm.
3. Soften cream cheese in a large bowl; blend in mayonnaise or salad dressing, then lukewarm gelatin mixture. Fold in fruit cocktail,marshmallows and cherries.
4. Beat cream until stiff in small bowl.
5. Place bowl of fruit-gelatin mixture in a larger bowl or pan partly filled with ice and water; fold in whipped cream.Continue folding,keeping over ice, 10 minutes,or until mixture starts to mound lightly on a spoon.
6. Pour into 2 ice-cube trays or an 8-cup shallow pan. Freeze 3 hours, or until firm.
7. When ready to serve, cut honeydew into a wedges; remove seeds; place wedges on serving plates. Spoon a mound of frozen fruit mixture onto each wedge. (Keep any remaining fruit mixture frozen to serve on lettuce for another meal.)