09 May 2012
Raspberry Chiffon Royale
Serve this double-tier pink party special with your favorite cookies.
Makes 8 to 12 servings.
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
4 eggs, separated
1 can (6 ounces) frozen concentrate for raspberry-lemon punch or pink lemonade
1 cup cream for whipping
Red food coloring
Fresh red raspberries
1. Mix gelatin with 1/2 cup sugar in top of small double boiler (save remaining 1/4 cup sugar for step 4);stir in water.
2.Beat egg yolks slightly in small bowl; stir into gelatin mixture. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, 5minutes,or until gelatin is dissolved and mixture coats a metal spoon.
3. Remove from heat; pour into large bowl; stir in frozen concentrate until completely melted.
4. Beat egg whites until foamy in medium-size bowl; gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar,a tablespoon at a time, until meringue forms soft peaks. Fold into gelatin mixture.
5. Beat cream until stiff in same bowl, then fold into gelatin-meringue mixture until no streaks of white remain.
6. Tint mixture pale pink with a few drops of red food coloring, then measure out 0f 2 cups and tint a deeper pink with a drop or two more.
7. Spoon deeper-pink mixture into an 8-cup mold; chill 15 minutes, or just until sticky-firm. Spoon remaining lighter-pink mixture on top; chill several hours,or until firm.
8. Unmold onto serving plate; garnish top with crown of fresh raspberries.